Legal News

Click to jump to current information about the Home Education Advisory Council (HEAC)

Past Legislation

One Time Notification
As of August 12, 2012, f you have been homeschooling and sending in a letter of notification in previous years, you do not need to notify again. If you are homeschooling a new student, or have moved to a different district, you do need to notify. Do note that you need to keep your letter of acknowledgement from the school district or private school (and maybe an extra copy) in a safe place, since you will not be receiving a new letter each year.

Changes in Annual Evaluation
HB1571 removed the requirement to submit the annual evaluation to the “participating agency” and states that the results "(a) May be used to demonstrate the child’s academic proficiency in order to participate in public school programs.
(b) Shall not be used as a basis for termination of a home education program.
(c) Provides a basis for a constructive relationship between the parent and the evaluator, both working together in the best interest of the child."

Some families may still choose to send in an evaluation, and there is the possibility that some non-public schools will ask to have evaluations submitted to them.

What if Your Student Has Graduated Homeschool High School But Is Younger Than Age 18?

If your student has finished high school but is younger than 18, you must certify high school completion with the New Hampshire Department of Education. Send a letter to the Commissioner of Education at the Department of Education. No homeschooling notification or evaluation is required for students enrolled full-time in college (“an accredited post-secondary education program”). We have provided a sample letter.

Home Education Advisory Council

The Home Education Advisory Council (HEAC) meets monthly to discuss homeschooling issues. Advising the NH Board of Education, the HEAC has members who are homeschoolers as well as representatives from the Department of Education, public school administrators, school board members, and a representative of private schools. If you want to be informed of homeschooling issues and lend support to our representatives, attend a meeting. The HEAC meets on the second Thursday of the month, 3:30-5:00, room 15, Department of Education (there are no meetings in July and August). If you have questions about the HEAC, please contact the Chair, Amy Gall, (603) 838-5081, Check at the Department of Education website.  Visitors are not allowed to participate in Council discussion unless given special permission. 

Report from the Home Education Advisory Council

Prepared for New Hampshire Homeschooling Coalition
July 2014

Amy Gall will give the Council's annual report to the State Board of Education on August 14.

The Ed. 315 rules have been finalized and are available at Because all the Ed. 300 rules are on this page, you will need to scroll down a ways to find Ed. 315.

The Council voted to hold meetings on the second Thursday of the month, beginning in September; there are no meetings in July and August.

Minutes from this year's Council meetings can be found at
If you have any comments, questions, or concerns you would like to see addressed, please feel free to contact me.

Respectfully submitted,
Amy Gall
(603) 838-5081