It may seem that the more you read about homeschooling and the more catalogs you order, the more confusing it all gets. But it is very helpful to gather all the information you can. Do order the many free catalogs.
After a while, as you observe your children and discover how they learn best, you will be able to decide which methods and materials you want to use. Don't be fooled by "experts" who insist they have the best homeschool curriculum or method; remember, you know your children better than anyone else does.
Another good rule to remember is this: Rule your curriculum. Don't let your curriculum rule you. If your plan doesn't work as well as you hoped it would, you may want to explore other options. Scrapping an expensive curriculum early in the year is far less worse than struggling with it for months and souring both yourself and your child on the whole idea of homeschooling.
Although it is impossible to compile an exhaustive list of homeschooling resources, we have compiled a list below of organizations, catalogs, and magazines that are used by many homeschoolers. When looking for homeschooling resources, don't forget your local support group or NHHC representative.
There is a large selection of homeschooling books donated by the NHHC at the New Hampshire State Library in Concord . Reading some of these will help you to know what forms of education would work best for your family. These books are available to anyone in the state through the interlibrary loan program. For a list of available titles, go to the Family Resource Connection . Go to "browse subjects" and enter homeschooling.
Another great source for information about homeschooling in New Hampshire is the New Hampshire Home Education Guidebook, published by the NHHC. The 170-page Guidebook contains information on the laws and procedures governing home education in New Hampshire, methods of homeschooling, an extensive list of curricular and other resources and much more.
Visit our links to some popular homeschooling Web sites and organizations for students with special needs.
Although you can easily complete the academic part of homeschooling on your own, many homeschoolers enjoy getting together for classes within their local support group. Parents enjoy sharing their areas of expertise. Many organizations and teachers offer classes, special interest activities, and tutoring around the state.
For easier reference, the resource providers listed here are organized alphabetically within the following categories: Art and Music; Athletics and Physical Education; General Studies (suppliers of more than one subject); General Studies with a Christian Emphasis; Languages; Mathematics and Logic; Reading, Writing and Literature; Science and Engineering; and Social Studies (Geography, History, and Civics). Many providers carry materials that span more than one subject area; most of these providers are listed under General Studies. So, for example, if you are looking for science materials, check out both the Science listing and the General Studies listing.
Art and Music
- ARTaFacts Magazine 5015 Harroun Road , Sylvania, OH 43560. 419-885-8830. Lesson plans and other resources; K-12.
- Classical Kids/The Children\u2019s Group, 1815 Ironstone Manor, Suite 13, Pickering, ON L1W 3W9, Canada. 800-668-0242. Dramatic tales brought to life through the music of classical composers. Combines historical facts relevant to the composer\u2019s life with a fictional story.
- ECS Media 1713 S. State St., Champaign, IL 61820. 800-832-4965. Music software offers games, drill and practice exercises, advanced learning modules in keyboard skills, music theory and harmonic analysis.
- Harrisville Designs Inc. P.O. Box 806 Center Village, Harrisville, NH 03450. 800-338-9415. Weaving looms, fiber crafts, and step-by-step instructions for kids. Made from high quality materials, hardwoods, and 100% virgin wool yarn.
- Hearthsong 6519 North Galena Road, P.O. Box 1773 , Peoria , IL 61656-1773. 800-533-4397. \u201cChildhood classic\u201d playthings, unusual craft kits for parents and children to make together, family games, decorations for seasonal festivals, and books on parenting-related topics.
- KidsArt P.O. Box 274 , Mt. Shasta, CA 96067. 530-926-5076. KidsArt booklets, art supplies, online activities, and free resources and lessons on their website.
- Lark in the Morning P.O. Box 799, Ft. Bragg, CA 95437. 877-964-5569. Thousands of exotic and unusual musical instruments, books and recordings from cultures all around the world. Strictly traditional and ethnic music.
- Modern School Supplies P.O. Box 958, Hartford, CT 06143. 800-243-2329. Art and drafting supplies.
- National Gallery of Art Department of Education Resources, 2000B South Club Drive , Landover , MD 20785 . 800-697-9350 (Bookstore) . Bookstore and Loan Program (color slide programs, teaching packets, and videos that are loaned free of charge).
- Odds Bodkin Rivertree Productions Inc., P.O. Box 410, Bradford , NH 03221. 603-938-5120. Audiotapes, CDs, and books by NH storyteller and musician, Odds Bodkin.
- Pioneer Drama Service P.O. Box 4267, Englewood, CO 80155-4267. 800-333-7262. Hundreds of plays, musicals, melodramas, and Shakespeare adaptations for all ages. Sponsors an annual playwriting contest.
- Revels, Inc. 683 Santa Barbara Road , Berkeley , CA 94707 . 206-756-1804. A non-profit performing arts company producing music theater, recordings and educational materials. Offers Making Music with John Langstaff instructional and singalong videos.
- Rhythm Band Instruments Inc. P.O. Box 126, Fort Worth , TX 76101-0126. 800-424-4724. Manufacturer and distributor of musical instruments geared to preschool through elementary age children; recorder method books, music instruction aids and books.
- SHAR Music P.O. Box 1411 , Ann Arbor , MI 48106-1411 . 800-793-4334 . Instruments, sheet music, and other supplies for stringed instruments.
- Sweet Pipes 2300A Michigan Ct. , Arlington , TX 76016 . 800-446-1067. High quality recorders and music publications.
- Woodwind and Brasswind 404 Technology Drive, South Bend, IN 46628. 800-348-5003. Musical instruments and accessories, musical method books, songbooks, and more.
Athletics and Physical Education
- Amateur Athletic Union P.O. Box 22409 , Lake Buena Vista , FL 32830 , 407-934-7200. Nationwide program offering alternatives to public school sports programs.
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance 1900 Association Drive, Reston, VA 20191 , 800-213-7193. Offers a comprehensive health education program that combines the assessment of fitness with goal setting and motivational strategies.
- American Montessori Consulting (AMC) P.O. Box 5062 , Rossmoor, CA 90720, 562-598-2321. Books and other resources covering all subjects. Supports the teachings of Maria Montessori.
- Aristoplay 901 Lincoln Parkway , Plainwell , MI 49080 , 800-433-4263. Games that teach art, music, science, math, mythology, geography, history and more.
- Audio Forum One Orchard Park Road, Madison , CT 06443 , 800-243-1234. Over 5000 different spoken-word audio and video programs in subjects from architecture to zoology.
- Audio Memory 501 Cliff Drive , Newport Beach , CA 92663 , 800-365-7464. Names of planets, continents, countries, states, etc., set to music. Geography tapes come with workbook and map.
- Bluestocking Press P.O. Box 2030 , Shingle Springs , CA 95682 , 800-959-8586. Historical books (including the Uncle Eric series), toys, crafts, and documents as well as courses in economics.
- The Book Cellar New Hampshire company offering new, used, out-of-print, and rare books and curriculum materials off 101A (Amherst St) in Nashua (next to Marshall's and Market Basket, and behind Pier One). Tel: 603-880-6400 x 102 Fax: 603-594-0866
- Center for Learning P.O. Box 910 , Villa Maria, PA 16155, 800-767-9090. Developing trusted, teacher-tested resources for forty years, The Center for Learning is a nonprofit educational publisher of teaching supplements that enhance students’ learning experience in the humanities. With thousands of creative lesson plans and unique activities for grades 1-12, The Center for Learning helps to foster students’ critical thinking skills and a lifelong love of learning.
- Chatham Hill Games Inc. P.O. Box 253, Chatham, NY 12037. 800-554-3039. Educational and historical games, posters, prints, CDs, and software.
- Chinaberry Book Service 2780 Via Orange Way, Suite B, Spring Valley , CA 91978, 800-776-2242 . Catalog of books, audio, and other resources. Categorized by reading level.
- Cobblestone Publishing 30 Grove Street, Peterborough, NH 03458, 800-821-0115. Magazines for children featuring: American history, world history, world cultures, African American heritage, social studies, geography & science.
- Constructive Playthings 13201 Arlington Road, Grandview, MO 64030. 800-448-7830. Alphabet puzzles, magnetic and cardboard letters, picture dominoes, number games, and other materials for K-6.
- Core Knowledge Foundation 801 E. High Street, Charlottesville, VA 22902. 800-238-3233. Books and lesson plans based on the Core Knowledge series by E.D. Hirsch.
- Creative Teaching Press 2723 Huntington Beach , CA 92647-0723 , 800-287-8879 . Timelines, literature-based art activities and cookbooks, other literature-based activities involving music, writing, drama, science and social studies.
- ETA/Cuisenaire Company of America 500 Greenview Court, Vernon Hills, IL 60061. 800-445-5985. Hands-on learning materials and publications, including math manipulatives and science kits for K- 12.
- Curriculum Associates 153 Rangeway Road, North Billerica, MA 01862. 800-225-0248 . Homeschooling resources for a variety of subject areas.
- Delta Education 80 Northwest Boulevard, P.O. Box 3000, Nashua, NH 03061-3000. 802-258-1302. Hands-on materials for science, math and literature.
- Design-A-Study 408 Victoria Avenue, Wilmington, DE 19804-2124. 800-965-2719 . Subject guides for creating your own, custom curriculum. Each guide is organized by concepts and skills, not by grade.
- Dover Publications 31 East 2nd Street, Mineola, NY 11501-3852. 516-294-7000. Children\u2019s Book Catalog includes over 600 inexpensive books.
- Educational Development Corporation P.O. Box 470663, Tulsa, OK 74147-0663. 800-475-4522. American publisher of Usborne books.
- Educational Insights 18730 South Wilmington Avenue , Rancho Dominguez , CA 90220 . 800-995-4436. Educational games, kits, manipulatives, books, toys, and electronic learning aids for geography, math, reading, science and other subjects.
- ESP Publishers, Inc. 5216 S. Himes Ave, Tampa, Fl 33611. Full curriculum, textbooks, and online worksheets.
- Five In A Row P.O. Box 707, Grandview, MO 64030-0707. 816-246-9252. Unit-study approach covering social studies, language, arts, applied math, and science.
- FUN Books Dept. W, PO Box 1360, Pasadena, MD 21123-1360. 888-386-7020 . Independent bookseller specializing in books by John Holt and other materials for unschoolers and lifelong learners.
- Hewitt Homeschooling Resources P.O. Box 9, Washougal, WA 98671-0009. 800-348-1750. Offers K-12 curriculum and testing services (PASS test).
The Homeschool Learning Network, 808-633-3355, offers a low-cost, affordable subscription for grades K-12, and one subscription serves a whole family. We have 36 weeks of structured learning, plus thousands of downloadable worksheets, unit studies and themes for families to use in their education process.
John Holt Bookstore 2269 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140-1226. 888-925-9298. Back issues of Growing Without Schooling magazine; books on homeschooling; educational resources; consultation services.
- Kennedy Center Publications Brigham Young University , 237 Herald R. Clark Building, Provo, UT 84602. 800-528-6279. Publisher of \u201cCulturegrams\u201d (introduction to the peoples of over 40 countries). Request their Building Bridges catalog.
- Lakeshore Learning Materials 2695 East Dominguez Street , Carson , CA 90895. 800-421-5354. Early childhood and elementary education.
- Lowry House Publishers P.O. Box 1014 , Eugene , OR 97440-1014 . 541-686-2315. Grace Llewellyn\u2019s Teenage Liberation Handbook and other books on unschooling and lifelong learning.
- NHPTV Knowledge Network@NH Public Television, 268 Mast Road , Durham, NH 03824. 603-868-1100. Instructional TV programs, electronic field trips, teacher\u2019s guides, tape library.
- Oak Meadow School P.O. Box 1346 , Brattleboro, VT 05302. 802-251-7250. Waldorf-inspired curriculum materials, accredited distance education school, online or printed materials, with or without enrollment and teacher support. Please note: the Oak Meadow website (and office) state that because they are accredited, you won't need to file a letter of intent to homeschool in New Hampshire. Recent changes to the New Hampshire compulsory attendance law have made this situation a bit vague. According to the long-standing interpretation of the law in NH, you would still need to file with a New Hampshire participating agency.
- Oxford University Press, Inc. 198 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016. 800-445-9714. Books for K-12, all subjects, including the History of Us series by Joy Hakim.
- Parent Child Press P.O. Box 675, Hollidaysburg, PA 16648-0675. 866-727-3683. Publications for early childhood education based on the Montesorri philosophy. Art appreciation, cosmic education, peace and care of the earth, and spiritual nurturing.
- PBS Video Customer Support Center , 1320 Braddock Place , Alexandria , VA 22314-1698 . 800-344-3337. Videos of PBS shows, including NOVA, Scientific American Frontiers, American Experience and more. PBS TeacherSource (on their website) includes lessons and activities.
- Rainbow Resource Center Route 1 Box 159A , 50 N 500 East Rd. , Toulon, IL 61483 . 888-841-3456. Huge catalog of materials at discount prices with detailed reviews by a homeschooling family. All subjects, all grades.
- The Resourceful Homeschooler Resources for independent learners of all ages. Unschooling emphasis.
- The Robinson Curriculum 3321 Sesame Dr., Howell, MI 48843. 517-546-8780. An entire 12-year curriculum that encourages self teaching and independent learning.
- Saxon Publishers Harcourt Achieve, Customer Service 5th Fl , 6277 Sea Harbor Drive , Orlando , FL 32887 . 800-284-7019. Math, phonics, spelling, physics, and chemistry textbooks, as well as placement tests, lesson plans, worksheets, and online activities.
- Scholastic Books 2931 East McCarty Street , Jefferson City , MO 65101 . 800-724-6527. Cheap paperback books for grades K-9. Free online activities and lesson plans.
- Singapore Math 404 Beavercreek Road #225 , Oregon City , OR 97405 . 503-557-8100. K-12 mathematics, science, and English materials.
- Sonlight Curriculum 8042 South Grant Way, Littleton, CO 80122-2705 . 303-730-6292. Complete K-12 curriculum and advice on choosing materials.
- Sycamore Tree Center for Home Education 2179 Meyer Place , Costa Mesa , CA 92627 . 800-779-6750. Complete K-12 homeschool program and a mail order catalog of over 3,500 items. Supplier of Math-It curriculum.
- Teaching and Learning Company P.O. Box 10, Carthage, IL 62321. 800-852-1234. Creative teacher resource books for math, language arts, social studies, science, responsibility education, arts and crafts, early childhood and more.
- The Teaching Company 4151 Lafayette Center Drive, Suite 100, Chantilly, VA 20151-1232. 800-832-2412. Offers audio or video high school and college course lectures taught by award-winning university and college professors in business, economics, history, art, music, literature, science, math, and philosophy.
- Timberdoodle 1510 East Spencer Lake Road, Shelton, WA 98584. 800-478-0672.
- Trend Enterprises 300 9th. Ave. S.W., New Brighton, MN 55112. 800-860-6762. Reusable Wipe-Off books, games, flashcards, posters, charts and other materials.
- Village Story Tapes P.O. Box 1440, Sebastopol, CA, 95473-1440. 800-238-8273. Rents and sells a wide variety of audio books \u2014 fiction, biography and non-fiction, mystery, self-improvement, classics, science fiction, drama, poetry, and children\u2019s titles.
- The Well-Trained Mind Peace Hill Press , 18101 The Glebe Lane , Charles City , VA 23030 . Online newsletter, support group, and other resources based on The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.
- World Book Encyclopedia 233 North Michigan Ave., Suite 2000, Chicago, Illinois 60601. 800-967-5325 (World Book Store). Print and electronic encyclopedias; publishes Typical Course of Study, a K-12 scope and sequence.
- Zephyr Press 814 N. Franklin St. , Chicago , IL 60610-3109 , Tucson , AZ 85728 . 800-232-2187. Art, critical thinking, cultural studies and history, engineering and architecture, gifted and talented resources, math, science and more.
General Studies, Christian Emphasis (all subjects)
- A Beka Book Box 19100, Pensacola, FL 32523-9100. 877-223-5226. Full K-12 curriculum.
- Anabaptist Bookstore P.O. Box 3, Hwy. 172, Crockett, KY 41413. 606-522-4348. Bible-based Rod and Staff textbooks and literature; Mennonite.
- Alpha Omega Publications, P.O. Box 3153, Tempe , AZ 85280-9983. \u201cLIFEPAC\u201d K-12 curriculum; workbook format with a biblical perspective.
- BJU Press Homeschool Greenville, SC 29614. 800-845-5731. Full curriculum with a biblical perspective. Testing services.
- Calvert School 105 Tuscany Road , Baltimore , MD 21210 , 888-487-4652. Traditional K-8 curriculum.
- Christian Book Distributors, Inc. P.O. Box 7000 , Peabody , MA 01961 -7000. 800-247-4784. Discount Christian and other homeschooling books.
- Christian Liberty Academy Satellite School (CLASS) 502 W Euclid Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL 60004-5495. 800-348-0899. Full curriculum. Testing services.
- Gazelle Publications 11560 Red Bud Trail, Berrien Springs , MI 49103 . Small selection of books on homeschooling, record-keeping, budgeting, Scripture, and spiritual development.
- Greenleaf Press 3761 Highway 109N, Unit D , Lebanon , TN 37087 . 800-311-1508. Small, family-owned and operated publisher and supplier of history, literature, and art books presented with a Christian, biblical worldview.
- KONOS P.O. Box 250, Anna, TX 75409. 972-924-2712. Unit studies that allow you to integrate subjects and teach many ages at once.
- LaCelle Family Ministries, 9199 Howd Rd, Camden, NY 13316. Carries a large selection of homeschooling materials.
- Moore Foundation and Academy Box 98 , 102 CBD Mall Drive , North Bonneville , WA 98639 . 800-891-5255. K-12, all subjects. Based on the teachings of Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore, who advocate delayed academics combined with daily manual work and service activity.
- Nature\u2019s Workshop Plus! P.O. Box 220 , Pittsboro , IN 46167-0220 . 800-688-5375 . Family-owned business offering Apologia Exploring Creation science curriculum as well as other resources for studying science, nature, art, and music.
- Our Lady of the Rosary School 1010 Withrow Court , Bardstown , KY 40004 . 502-348-1338. Catholic.
- Rod and Staff Publications See Anabaptist Bookstore.
- Seton Home Study School 1350 Progress Drive , Front Royal , VA 22630-3332 . 540-636-9990 . Catholic; K-12. Also offers CAT standardized testing service.
- Shekinah Curriculum Cellar 1815 Whittington Road, Kilgore, TX 75662. 903-643-2760.
- Tapestry of Grace Lampstand Press, PO Box 5798, Rockville, M.D. 20855. 800-705-7487. Classical K-12.
- Trivium Pursuit 139 Colorado Street, Suite 168, Muscatine, IA 52761. 309-537-3641. Classical. Literature, logic, Latin, Greek, Scripture and other resources.
- Veritas Press 1829 William Penn Way, Lancaster, PA 17601. 800-922-5082. Classical; K-12.
Red Wagon Tutorials Apologia Science courses taught online live courses, and a thirty-two class lecture series recorded on DVD. Each class is ninety minutes in length. General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Marine Biology, Chemistry, Advanced Biology, and Physics (2010). Tobin\u2019s Lab P.O. Box 725, Culpeper, VA 22701. 540-937-7173. Art, math, and science resources, including curriculum, games, lap books, live specimens, lab materials, and microscopes.
Mathematics and Logic
Tustin, CA 92780, (714) 245-7191. Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn't know in a course. One-on-one instruction, 24/7, from virtually any Web-based computer for a fraction of the cost of a human tutor.
Red Wagon Tutorials Apologia Science courses taught online live courses, and a thirty-two class lecture series recorded on DVD. Each class is ninety minutes in length. General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Marine Biology, Chemistry, Advanced Biology, and Physics (2010).
Tobin\u2019s Lab P.O. Box 725, Culpeper, VA 22701. 540-937-7173. Art, math, and science resources, including curriculum, games, lap books, live specimens, lab materials, and microscopes.
For additional resources, refer to the General Studies listing.
Carmo Learning offers nine world history units, written and classroom-tested for grades 6 through 10. Reading, language, mapping, and art lessons in each unit. All units are mailed on CD in PDF format, and shipping is free.
National Constitution Center The Bourse, Suite 560, 111 S. Independence Mall, E. Philadelphia, PA 19106. 215-923-0004. Lesson plans and resources on the law and the Constitution. Website offers an interactive game on the Bill of Rights and constitutional word scrambles for kids.
- National Geographic Society P.O. Box 98199, Washington, DC 20090-8199. 800-647-5463 (general information). Geography resources. Store offers maps, globes, atlases, and educational toys. Website offers lesson plans, maps and photos, interactive games, activities, and experiments and information on the National Geographic Bee.
- National Women\u2019s History Project 3343 Industrial Drive, Suite 4 , Santa Rosa , CA 95403. 707-636-2888. Women\u2019s history, women in science, and other resources aimed at empowering and recognizing the achievements of women.
- Generation Joshua PO Box 3000, Purcellville, VA 20134, (540) 338-8608 offers several online civics courses from a Christian perspective.
Undergraduate Program for Homeschoolers at Goddard College, Plainfield, Vermont
Goddard's program for homeschoolers gives 14-19-year old students the opportunity to earn transferable college credit for one or two self-designed courses per semester. Each student works one-on-one with a faculty mentor to develop a personal study plan in a field of special interest.
Students attend a 3-day intensive residency on Goddard's beautiful Vermont campus, and spend the rest of the semester working from home--or anywhere in the world. They send their work to their mentors periodically for review and support.
The Fall semester begins on September 8, 2006. Applications are due by August 18. See Goddard's website at
http://www.goddard.edu/academic/Homeschool.html for complete details.
Homeschool Curriculum Exchange
Keys To Learning in Nashua, NH is starting a section for used curriculums to be sold on consignment. If you'd like to sell your gently used and in good condition curriculums, we'll be happy to display them for you and keep track of any sales. When one of your items sells, we'll send you a check for 70% of the sale price. To get started, please call Lyn Nelson at 603-888-3505.
If you'd like to purchase gently used curriculums...
Please come in and visit us at 228 Daniel Webster Highway in Nashua. If you're looking for a specific curriculum, please feel free to call 603-888-3505 to see if it is available.
In addition, Keys To Learning has many wonderful learning tools and curriculum support materials for homeschooling families.
For an idea on selection, visit our website at
The Book Cover Used Curriculum
At least 30% off the market value. Bob Jones, A Beka, Sonlight, Saxon, Weaver, Konos, and many more. www.the-book-cover.com/shopping/htm Check out how you can consign your books with us at: http://www.the-book-cover.com/consignment.htm
Home Learning Library
The Home Learning Library has a variety of resources to loan to homeschoolers. Items include language, math, science, history, and foreign language texts, encyclopedias, readers, as well as homeschooling information and source books. Most items can be borrowed for an entire school year, readers can be borrowed for two months, and videos can be borrowed for two weeks. Donations of used curriculum and texts are welcome as needed. For further information, to schedule a visit to the library to borrow materials, or to donate materials, please contact:
Patricia Theall, 345 Razor Hill Rd., Grafton, NH 03240, 603 523 9547, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Book Cellar has a retail store in Nashua, but the homeschool curriculum is in Manchester now at this address - 1279 S. Willow St (next to Daddy's Junky Music, right off of highway 101). The phone number is 603-836-5000.
New and used homeschooling books online http://www.hsloft.com/
New Hampshire Historical Society
Resources for homeschoolers
The New Hampshire History Curriculum, Grades K-6, available online