It may seem that the more you read about homeschooling and the more catalogs you order, the more confusing it all gets. But it is very helpful to gather all the information you can. Do order the many free catalogs.
After a while, as you observe your children and discover how they learn best, you will be able to decide which methods and materials you want to use. Don’t be fooled by “experts” who insist they have the best homeschool curriculum or method; remember, you know your children better than anyone else does.
Another good rule to remember is this: Rule your curriculum. Don’t let your curriculum rule you. If your plan doesn’t work as well as you hoped it would, you may want to explore other options. Scrapping an expensive curriculum early in the year is far less worse than struggling with it for months and souring both yourself and your child on the whole idea of homeschooling.
Although it is impossible to compile an exhaustive list of homeschooling resources, we have compiled a list below of organizations, catalogs, and magazines that are used by many homeschoolers. When looking for homeschooling resources, don’t forget your local support group or NHHC representative.
There is a large selection of homeschooling books donated by the NHHC at the New Hampshire State Library in Concord . Reading some of these will help you to know what forms of education would work best for your family. These books are available to anyone in the state through the interlibrary loan program. For a list of available titles, go to the New Hampshire State Library catalog and enter homeschooling as a keyword.
Another great source for information about homeschooling in New Hampshire is the New Hampshire Home Education Guidebook, published by the NHHC. The 170-page Guidebook contains information on the laws and procedures governing home education in New Hampshire, methods of homeschooling, an extensive list of curricular and other resources and much more.
Visit our links to some popular homeschooling Web sites and organizations for students with special needs.
Although you can easily complete the academic part of homeschooling on your own, many homeschoolers enjoy getting together for classes within their local support group. Parents enjoy sharing their areas of expertise. Many organizations and teachers offer classes, special interest activities, and tutoring around the state.
For easier reference, the resource providers listed here are organized alphabetically within the following categories: Art and Music; Athletics and Physical Education; General Studies (suppliers of more than one subject); General Studies with a Christian Emphasis; Languages; Mathematics and Logic; Reading, Writing and Literature; Science and Engineering; and Social Studies (Geography, History, and Civics). Many providers carry materials that span more than one subject area; most of these providers are listed under General Studies. So, for example, if you are looking for science materials, check out both the Science listing and the General Studies listing.
Art and Music
- ARTaFacts Magazine 5015 Harroun Road , Sylvania, OH 43560. 419-885-8830. Lesson plans and other resources; K-12.
- Harrisville Designs Inc. P.O. Box 806 Center Village, Harrisville, NH 03450. 800-338-9415. Weaving looms, fiber crafts, and step-by-step instructions for kids. Made from high quality materials, hardwoods, and 100% virgin wool yarn.
- Hearthsong 6519 North Galena Road, P.O. Box 1773 , Peoria , IL 61656-1773. 800-533-4397. \u201cChildhood classic\u201d playthings, unusual craft kits for parents and children to make together, family games, decorations for seasonal festivals, and books on parenting-related topics.
- KidsArt P.O. Box 274 , Mt. Shasta, CA 96067. 530-926-5076. KidsArt booklets, art supplies, online activities, and free resources and lessons on their website.
- Lark in the Morning P.O. Box 799, Ft. Bragg, CA 95437. 877-964-5569. Thousands of exotic and unusual musical instruments, books and recordings from cultures all around the world. Strictly traditional and ethnic music.
- Modern School Supplies P.O. Box 958, Hartford, CT 06143. 800-243-2329. Art and drafting supplies.
- National Gallery of Art Department of Education Resources, 2000B South Club Drive , Landover , MD 20785 . 800-697-9350 (Bookstore) . Bookstore and Loan Program (color slide programs, teaching packets, and videos that are loaned free of charge).
- Odds Bodkin Rivertree Productions Inc., P.O. Box 410, Bradford , NH 03221. 603-938-5120. Audiotapes, CDs, and books by NH storyteller and musician, Odds Bodkin.
- Pioneer Drama Service P.O. Box 4267, Englewood, CO 80155-4267. 800-333-7262. Hundreds of plays, musicals, melodramas, and Shakespeare adaptations for all ages. Sponsors an annual playwriting contest.
- Rhythm Band Instruments Inc. P.O. Box 126, Fort Worth , TX 76101-0126. 800-424-4724. Manufacturer and distributor of musical instruments geared to preschool through elementary age children; recorder method books, music instruction aids and books.
- SHAR Music P.O. Box 1411 , Ann Arbor , MI 48106-1411 . 800-793-4334 . Instruments, sheet music, and other supplies for stringed instruments.
- Sweet Pipes 2300A Michigan Ct. , Arlington , TX 76016 . 800-446-1067. High quality recorders and music publications.
- Woodwind and Brasswind 404 Technology Drive, South Bend, IN 46628. 800-348-5003. Musical instruments and accessories, musical method books, songbooks, and more.
Athletics and Physical Education
- Amateur Athletic Union P.O. Box 22409 , Lake Buena Vista , FL 32830 , 407-934-7200. Nationwide program offering alternatives to public school sports programs.
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance 1900 Association Drive, Reston, VA 20191 , 800-213-7193. Offers a comprehensive health education program that combines the assessment of fitness with goal setting and motivational strategies.
General Studies (suppliers of several or all subjects)
- American Montessori Consulting (AMC) P.O. Box 5062 , Rossmoor, CA 90720, 562-598-2321. Books and other resources covering all subjects. Supports the teachings of Maria Montessori.
- Aristoplay 901 Lincoln Parkway , Plainwell , MI 49080 , 800-433-4263. Games that teach art, music, science, math, mythology, geography, history and more.
- Audio Forum One Orchard Park Road, Madison , CT 06443 , 800-243-1234. Over 5000 different spoken-word audio and video programs in subjects from architecture to zoology.
- Audio Memory 501 Cliff Drive , Newport Beach , CA 92663 , 800-365-7464. Names of planets, continents, countries, states, etc., set to music. Geography tapes come with workbook and map.
- Bluestocking Press P.O. Box 2030 , Shingle Springs , CA 95682 , 800-959-8586. Historical books (including the Uncle Eric series), toys, crafts, and documents as well as courses in economics.
- The Book Cellar New Hampshire company offering new, used, out-of-print, and rare books and curriculum materials off 101A (Amherst St) in Nashua (next to Marshall’s and Market Basket, and behind Pier One). Tel: 603-880-6400 x 102 Fax: 603-594-0866
- Build Your Library a secular literature based curriculum.
Center for Learning P.O. Box 910 , Villa Maria, PA 16155, 800-767-9090. Developing trusted, teacher-tested resources for forty years, The Center for Learning is a nonprofit educational publisher of teaching supplements that enhance students’ learning experience in the humanities. With thousands of creative lesson plans and unique activities for grades 1-12, The Center for Learning helps to foster students’ critical thinking skills and a lifelong love of learning.
- Chinaberry Book Service 2780 Via Orange Way, Suite B, Spring Valley , CA 91978, 800-776-2242 . Catalog of books, audio, and other resources. Categorized by reading level.
- Cobblestone Publishing 30 Grove Street, Peterborough, NH 03458, 800-821-0115. Magazines for children featuring: American history, world history, world cultures, African American heritage, social studies, geography & science.
- Constructive Playthings 13201 Arlington Road, Grandview, MO 64030. 800-448-7830. Alphabet puzzles, magnetic and cardboard letters, picture dominoes, number games, and other materials for K-6.
- Core Knowledge Foundation 801 E. High Street, Charlottesville, VA 22902. 800-238-3233. Books and lesson plans based on the Core Knowledge series by E.D. Hirsch.
- Creative Teaching Press 2723 Huntington Beach , CA 92647-0723 , 800-287-8879 . Timelines, literature-based art activities and cookbooks, other literature-based activities involving music, writing, drama, science and social studies.
- ETA/Cuisenaire Company of America 500 Greenview Court, Vernon Hills, IL 60061. 800-445-5985. Hands-on learning materials and publications, including math manipulatives and science kits for K- 12.
- Curriculum Associates 153 Rangeway Road, North Billerica, MA 01862. 800-225-0248 . Homeschooling resources for a variety of subject areas.
- Delta Education 80 Northwest Boulevard, P.O. Box 3000, Nashua, NH 03061-3000. 802-258-1302. Hands-on materials for science, math and literature.
- Design-A-Study 408 Victoria Avenue, Wilmington, DE 19804-2124. 800-965-2719 . Subject guides for creating your own, custom curriculum. Each guide is organized by concepts and skills, not by grade.
- Dover Publications 31 East 2nd Street, Mineola, NY 11501-3852. 516-294-7000. Children\u2019s Book Catalog includes over 600 inexpensive books.
- Educational Development Corporation P.O. Box 470663, Tulsa, OK 74147-0663. 800-475-4522. American publisher of Usborne books.
- Educational Insights 18730 South Wilmington Avenue , Rancho Dominguez , CA 90220 . 800-995-4436. Educational games, kits, manipulatives, books, toys, and electronic learning aids for geography, math, reading, science and other subjects.
- ESP Publishers, Inc. 5216 S. Himes Ave, Tampa, Fl 33611. Full curriculum, textbooks, and online worksheets.
- Five In A Row P.O. Box 707, Grandview, MO 64030-0707. 816-246-9252. Unit-study approach covering social studies, language, arts, applied math, and science.
- FUN Books Dept. W, PO Box 1360, Pasadena, MD 21123-1360. 888-386-7020 . Independent bookseller specializing in books by John Holt and other materials for unschoolers and lifelong learners.
- Hewitt Homeschooling Resources P.O. Box 9, Washougal, WA 98671-0009. 800-348-1750. Offers K-12 curriculum and testing services (PASS test).
- The Homeschool Learning Network, 808-633-3355, offers a low-cost, affordable subscription for grades K-12, and one subscription serves a whole family. We have 36 weeks of structured learning, plus thousands of downloadable worksheets, unit studies and themes for families to use in their education process.
John Holt Bookstore 2269 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140-1226. 888-925-9298. Back issues of Growing Without Schooling magazine; books on homeschooling; educational resources; consultation services.
- Kennedy Center Publications Brigham Young University , 237 Herald R. Clark Building, Provo, UT 84602. 800-528-6279. Publisher of \u201cCulturegrams\u201d (introduction to the peoples of over 40 countries). Request their Building Bridges catalog.
- Lakeshore Learning Materials 2695 East Dominguez Street , Carson , CA 90895. 800-421-5354. Early childhood and elementary education.
- Lowry House Publishers P.O. Box 1014 , Eugene , OR 97440-1014 . 541-686-2315. Grace Llewellyn\u2019s Teenage Liberation Handbook and other books on unschooling and lifelong learning.
- NHPTV Knowledge Network@NH Public Television, 268 Mast Road , Durham, NH 03824. 603-868-1100. Instructional TV programs, electronic field trips, teacher\u2019s guides, tape library.
- Oak Meadow Independent Learning P.O. Box 1346 , Brattleboro, VT 05302. 802-251-7250. Waldorf-inspired curriculum materials, accredited distance education school, online or printed materials, with or without enrollment and teacher support.
- Oxford University Press, Inc. 198 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016. 800-445-9714. Books for K-12, all subjects, including the History of Us series by Joy Hakim.
- Parent Child Press P.O. Box 675, Hollidaysburg, PA 16648-0675. 866-727-3683. Publications for early childhood education based on the Montesorri philosophy. Art appreciation, cosmic education, peace and care of the earth, and spiritual nurturing.
- PBS Video Customer Support Center , 1320 Braddock Place , Alexandria , VA 22314-1698 . 800-344-3337. Videos of PBS shows, including NOVA, Scientific American Frontiers, American Experience and more. PBS TeacherSource (on their website) includes lessons and activities.
- Rainbow Resource Center Route 1 Box 159A , 50 N 500 East Rd. , Toulon, IL 61483 . 888-841-3456. Huge catalog of materials at discount prices with detailed reviews by a homeschooling family. All subjects, all grades.
- The Robinson Curriculum 3321 Sesame Dr., Howell, MI 48843. 517-546-8780. An entire 12-year curriculum that encourages self teaching and independent learning.
- Saxon Publishers Harcourt Achieve, Customer Service 5th Fl , 6277 Sea Harbor Drive , Orlando , FL 32887 . 800-284-7019. Math, phonics, spelling, physics, and chemistry textbooks, as well as placement tests, lesson plans, worksheets, and online activities.
- Scholastic Books 2931 East McCarty Street , Jefferson City , MO 65101 . 800-724-6527. Cheap paperback books for grades K-9. Free online activities and lesson plans.
- Singapore Math 404 Beavercreek Road #225 , Oregon City , OR 97405 . 503-557-8100. K-12 mathematics, science, and English materials.
- Sycamore Tree Center for Home Education 2179 Meyer Place , Costa Mesa , CA 92627 . 800-779-6750. Complete K-12 homeschool program and a mail order catalog of over 3,500 items. Supplier of Math-It curriculum.
- Teaching and Learning Company P.O. Box 10, Carthage, IL 62321. 800-852-1234. Creative teacher resource books for math, language arts, social studies, science, responsibility education, arts and crafts, early childhood and more.
- The Teaching Company 4151 Lafayette Center Drive, Suite 100, Chantilly, VA 20151-1232. 800-832-2412. Offers audio or video high school and college course lectures taught by award-winning university and college professors in business, economics, history, art, music, literature, science, math, and philosophy.
- Timberdoodle 1510 East Spencer Lake Road, Shelton, WA 98584. 800-478-0672.
- Trend Enterprises 300 9th. Ave. S.W., New Brighton, MN 55112. 800-860-6762. Reusable Wipe-Off books, games, flashcards, posters, charts and other materials.
- The Well-Trained Mind Peace Hill Press , 18101 The Glebe Lane , Charles City , VA 23030 . Online newsletter, support group, and other resources based on The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.
- World Book Encyclopedia 233 North Michigan Ave., Suite 2000, Chicago, Illinois 60601. 800-967-5325 (World Book Store). Print and electronic encyclopedias; publishes Typical Course of Study, a K-12 scope and sequence.
- Zephyr Press 814 N. Franklin St. , Chicago , IL 60610-3109 , Tucson , AZ 85728 . 800-232-2187. Art, critical thinking, cultural studies and history, engineering and architecture, gifted and talented resources, math, science and more.
General Studies, Christian Emphasis (all subjects)
- A Beka Book Box 19100, Pensacola, FL 32523-9100. 877-223-5226. Full K-12 curriculum.
- Anabaptist Bookstore P.O. Box 3, Hwy. 172, Crockett, KY 41413. 606-522-4348. Bible-based Rod and Staff textbooks and literature; Mennonite.
- Alpha Omega Publications, P.O. Box 3153, Tempe , AZ 85280-9983. \u201cLIFEPAC\u201d K-12 curriculum; workbook format with a biblical perspective.
- BJU Press Homeschool Greenville, SC 29614. 800-845-5731. Full curriculum with a biblical perspective. Testing services.
- Calvert School 105 Tuscany Road , Baltimore , MD 21210 , 888-487-4652. Traditional K-8 curriculum.
- Christian Book Distributors, Inc. P.O. Box 7000 , Peabody , MA 01961 -7000. 800-247-4784. Discount Christian and other homeschooling books.
- Christian Liberty Academy Satellite School (CLASS) 502 W Euclid Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL 60004-5495. 800-348-0899. Full curriculum. Testing services.
- The Father’s Books The online division of Resurrection Resources. Christian workbooks and texts in a variety of subjects.
- Gazelle Publications 11560 Red Bud Trail, Berrien Springs , MI 49103 . Small selection of books on homeschooling, record-keeping, budgeting, Scripture, and spiritual development.
- Greenleaf Press 3761 Highway 109N, Unit D , Lebanon , TN 37087 . 800-311-1508. Small, family-owned and operated publisher and supplier of history, literature, and art books presented with a Christian, biblical worldview.
- KONOS P.O. Box 250, Anna, TX 75409. 972-924-2712. Unit studies that allow you to integrate subjects and teach many ages at once.
- LaCelle Family Ministries, 9199 Howd Rd, Camden, NY 13316. Carries a large selection of homeschooling materials.
- Moore Foundation and Academy Box 98 , 102 CBD Mall Drive , North Bonneville , WA 98639 . 800-891-5255. K-12, all subjects. Based on the teachings of Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore, who advocate delayed academics combined with daily manual work and service activity.
- Nature\u2019s Workshop Plus! P.O. Box 220 , Pittsboro , IN 46167-0220 . 800-688-5375 . Family-owned business offering Apologia Exploring Creation science curriculum as well as other resources for studying science, nature, art, and music.
- Our Lady of the Rosary School 1010 Withrow Court , Bardstown , KY 40004 . 502-348-1338. Catholic.
- Rod and Staff Publications See Anabaptist Bookstore.
- Seton Home Study School 1350 Progress Drive , Front Royal , VA 22630-3332 . 540-636-9990 . Catholic; K-12. Also offers CAT standardized testing service.
- Shekinah Curriculum Cellar 1815 Whittington Road, Kilgore, TX 75662. 903-643-2760.
- Sonlight Curriculum 8042 South Grant Way, Littleton, CO 80122-2705 . 303-730-6292. Complete K-12 curriculum and advice on choosing materials.
- Tapestry of Grace Lampstand Press, PO Box 5798, Rockville, M.D. 20855. 800-705-7487. Classical K-12.
- Trivium Pursuit 139 Colorado Street, Suite 168, Muscatine, IA 52761. 309-537-3641. Classical. Literature, logic, Latin, Greek, Scripture and other resources.
- Veritas Press 1829 William Penn Way, Lancaster, PA 17601. 800-922-5082. Classical; K-12.
- Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers Inc. 1000 Brown Street , Unit 101 , Wauconda , IL 60084 , 847-526-4344. Self-teaching Latin course structured to accommodate multiple levels of students, each learning at his or her own pace
- Duolingo Free online language course, using an immersion technique. Lots of games and awards make it fun. Large selection of languages.
- Greek \u2018n\u2019 Stuff P.O. Box 882 , Moline , IL 61266-0882 , 309-796-2707. Greek, Latin, and Bible Study workbooks.
- The Learnables International Linguistics Corporation, 12220 Blue Ridge Boulevard , Suite G, Kansas City , MO 64030-1175 . 800-237-1830. Foreign language teaching programs for children and adults.
- Rosetta Stone Winner of numerous awards, Rosetta Stone courses cover reading, writing, and spoken language. Students learn at their own pace with interactive software. Many languages available, several with specific homeschool packages for lesson planning and tracking progress.
- Teach Me Tapes, Inc. 6016 Blue Circle Drive , Minnetonka , MN 55343 . 800-456-4656. Teach Me… series uses familiar songs to teach the fundamentals of foreign language vocabulary, the alphabet, numbers and colors, days of the week and more. Available in 10 languages.
Mathematics and Logic
- ALEKS 15641 Red Hill Avenue, Suite 150
Tustin, CA 92780, (714) 245-7191. Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn’t know in a course. One-on-one instruction, 24/7, from virtually any Web-based computer for a fraction of the cost of a human tutor.
- Key Curriculum Press 1150 65th Street, Emeryville, CA 94608. 800-338-7638. Math workbook series (Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, Key to Algebra, etc.); also Miquon Math materials.
- The Math Channel 701 Cottage Grove Road, Suite E20, Bloomfield, CT 06002. 800-686-3725. Catalog features large assortment of math manipulatives, books and games. Formerly the Institute for Math Mania.
- Math-It, See Sycamore Tree Center for Home Education listing under General Studies.
- The Mathman 809 Stratford Drive , Champaign , IL 61821-4140 . 800-356-4559. Author of Calculus by and for Young People (Ages 7, Yes 7 and Up). Math materials for K-12 students, teachers and parents; precalculus.
- Math-U-See P.O. Box 832, Raynham Center , MA 02768 . 888-854-6284. Manipulative-based K-8 math curriculum; also algebra and geometry.
- Memory Joggers 24 Nuevo, Irvine, CA 92612. 888-854-9400. Picture cards and work sheets for learning Multiplication and Division basics.
- Mindware 2100 County Rd C W, Roseville, MN 55113. 800-999-0398. Activity kits, building toys, games, puzzles, and books for developing critical thinking skills.
- Saxon Math Math K through calculus and physics 800-225-5425.
- Teaching Textbooks P.O. Box 60529, Oklahoma City, OK 73146-0529. 866-867-6284. Offers courses with both textbook and software lectures and solutions for high school math.
- Wff \u2018n\u2019 Proof Learning Games 402 E. Kirkwood Avenue, Fairfield, IO 52556. 800-289-2377. Games focusing on developing fundamental reasoning skills and higher-order problem-solving abilities in logic, math, social studies, scientific reasoning, and language arts.
Reading, Writing and Literature
- Audio Bookshelf 44 Oceanview Drive , Middletown , RI 02842 , 800-234-1713. Unabridged audiobooks. Family listening and American fiction.
- Ball-Stick-Bird Publications. P.O. Box 429 , Williamstown , MA 01267 , 413-664-0002. Uses simple shapes to teach kids how to write upper- and lower-case letters; for ages 3+.
- Beautiful Feet Books 1306 Mill St., San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, 800-889-1978. Literature-based history units for homeschoolers.
- Book It! National Reading Incentive Program, P.O. Box 2999 , Wichita , KS 67201 , 800-426-6548. Sponsored by Pizza Hut; offers certificates, stickers, and pizza as incentives for reaching reading goals.
- Cricket Magazine Group 315 Fifth Street, Peru , IL 61354, 800-821-0115. Monthly literary magazines for children:Cicada (14 and older), Cricket (age 7-14), Ladybug (age 2-7), and Babybug ( toddlers).
- Educators Publishing Service 31 Smith Place, Cambridge, MA 02138-1089. 800-225-5750. Primarily concerned with reading and related disabilities, including dyslexia. Testing services.
- Greathall Productions P.O. Box 5061, Charlottesville, VA 22905. 800-477-6234. Collections of children\u2019s stories, Greek myths and other tales recorded by storyteller Jim Weiss.
- Gryphon House P.O. Box 207, Beltsville , MD 20704 . 301-595-9500. Publisher of children\u2019s books, including classics, stories from different cultures within and outside of the United States, and Spanish-bilingual materials.
- Harper Audio/Caedmon 10 East 53rd Street , New York , New York 10022 . Full-scale dramatic productions of Shakespeare, Shaw, Ibsen, ONeill, Williams, and many others.
- How to Tutor P.O. Box 45161, Boise, ID 83711. 208-322-4440. Samuel Blumenfeld\u2019s books on Alpha Phonics and math, other materials for teaching phonics, reading, cursive handwriting, arithmetic, grammar, and more. Website offers free lessons, CD, and backissues of Blumenfeld Education Letter.
- Italic Handwriting Series Portland State University Division of Continuing Education, Box 1394, Portland , OR 97207 . 866-647-7377. Italic handwriting workbooks; appropriate for children and adults.
- National Writing Institute (Writing Strands) 624 W. University #248, Denton , TX 76201-1889 . 800-688-5375. Daily lesson format, how to evaluate writing, variety of writing forms. Pre-K through high school.
- A Pirate’s Guide t’ th’ Grammar of Story: A Creative Writing Curriculum–Designed for those classically educating their children, this workbook focuses on the building blocks – terms and definitions – but it does not focus on memorization. Use this interactive workbook just 20-30 minutes, several times each week. Sample the first 50 pages as a free PDF, please email me at email@example.com Find it at https://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Guide-Grammar-Story-Curriculum/dp/1945353…
- The Writing Company 10200 Jefferson Blvd., Box 802, Culver City, CA 90232. 800-421-4246. Books, charts, videocassettes, software, simulation games and a variety of other supplementary resources.
Science and Engineering
- Agriculture in the Classroom New Hampshire Farm Bureau, 295 Sheep Davis Road , Concord , NH 03301. 603-224-1934. Teaching packet, field trip ideas.
- American Chemical Society Education Division, 1155 Sixteenth Street NW , Washington, DC 20036. 800-227-5558. Children\u2019s activity books, textbooks, videos, magazines, and a curriculum guideline for all ages.
- Anatomical Chart Company Wolters Kluwer Health, P.O. Box 1600 , Hagerstown , MD 21741-1600. 800-621-7500. Over 100 educational charts and anatomical models as well as novelty items, such as the Brain Gelatin Mold.
- Aves Science Kit Company, P.O. Box 220, Peru , ME 04290. 207-562-7033. Specializes in homeschool laboratory science units. Over 70 kits available.
- Carolina Biological Supply Co. 2700 York Road, Burlington, NC 27215. 800-334-5551. Science teaching materials for grades K-12 and college.
- Castle Heights Press, Inc. 5649 Temerity Way, Bulverde, TX 78163. 830-438-2496. Books, lab manuals, and unit studies for physics, biology, and chemistry; also, science resources for primary and secondary grades.
- Coloring Concepts, Inc. (Published by HarperCollins) 818-709-7160. Coloring books (The Anatomy Coloring Book, The Geography Coloring Book) with highly detailed pictures and diagrams keyed to college-level text. Other topics include zoology, marine biology, physiology and botany. Available in most bookstores; some titles are carried by the Anatomical Chart Co. (see listing above).
- Cousteau Society 710 Settlers landing Road, Hampton, VA 23669. 800-441-4395. Publishes the Dolphin Log, an illustrated bimonthly magazine which introduces young readers to life in and around the sea.
- Creative Learning Systems 17150 Via Del Campo, Suite 205, San Diego , CA 92127. 800-458-2880. Curriculum guides, Fishertechnik components and ROBO pro software, pneumatic robots, K\u2019nex education sets, Capsela Technic collections, and many kits and accessories for studying electricity, motors, and lasers.
- Edmund Scientific Co. 60 Pearce Avenue, Tonawanda, NY 14150. 800-728-6999. Science projects and activities. Topics include (but are not limited to): astronomy, biology, anatomy, zoology, light and lasers. High quality microscopes and lab equipment.
- The Electronic Wizards Apprenticeship
Explore hands-on real electronics with our fantastic inspirational one year Postal Course. Every month you will receive a mystery ‘Wonder Box’ in the post. Each package contains everything needed to make two or three fantastic electronics projects. You get all the components such as solar cells, batteries, meter, speaker, chips, sensors, motors, gears, circuit boards, wire and solder. Projects include making a radio transmitter, oscillators, LED flashers and sound generators. You’ll be doing simple computer programming, using magnets, motors and power switching and learning how to solder. www.kidstuff.co.uk
- Exploratorium Publishing Program The Exploratorium, 3601 Lyon Street, San Francisco , CA 94123. 415-561-0390. Science publications for kids and families. Exploring, the quarterly journal of the Exploratorium, is devoted to a single topic, examined from many different points of view with many illustrations and activities.
- Friendly Chemistry HC 68 Box 20 , Westerville , NE 68881. 800-774-3447. Friendly Chemistry: A Guide to Learning Basic Chemistry. Hands-on guidebook and set of manipulatives. Can also be taken as an online course.
- Great Scopes P.O. Box 16111, High Point, NC 27261. 877-454-6364. High-quality microscopes for home use and information on how to select a microscope.
- Home Science Tools 665 Carbon Street, Billings, MT 59102. 800-860-6272. Science curriculums, kits, and lab equipment (including microscopes). K-12.
- National Wildlife Federation 11100 Wildlife Center Drive , Reston , VA 20190 . 800-822-9919. Offers nature magazines: Wild Animal Baby (ages 1-4), Your Big Backyard (ages 3 to 6), Ranger Rick (ages 7+) and National Wildlife; and a free monthly online newsletter, Wildlife Online.
- Orion Telescope Center P.O. Box 1815, Santa Cruz, CA 95061-1815. 800-447-1001. Telescopes, binoculars, and optical accessories. Good to excellent quality products; prices range from moderate to expensive.
- Red Wagon Tutorials Apologia Science courses taught online live courses, and a thirty-two class lecture series recorded on DVD. Each class is ninety minutes in length. General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Marine Biology, Chemistry, Advanced Biology, and Physics (2010).
- Tobin\u2019s Lab P.O. Box 725, Culpeper, VA 22701. 540-937-7173. Art, math, and science resources, including curriculum, games, lap books, live specimens, lab materials, and microscopes.
- TOPS Learning Systems 10970 S. Mulino Rd., Canby, OR 97013. 888-773-9755. Hands-on science modules. Free newsletter and catalog with sample lessons.
- UNH Cooperative Extension/4-H Program 59 College Road, Taylor Hall, Durham, NH 03824. 603-862-1520 (state office). Call your local County Extension Office for information about starting a family-based 4-H program. Free materials available on a wide variety of topics including animals, agriculture and environment.
- Visual Learning produces videos available via an annual subscription and a life science textbook for the iPad®. Special pricing program for NH homeschool use!
- Ward\u2019s Natural Science Establishment P.O. Box 92912, Rochester, NY 14692-9012. 800-962-2660. Science and lab equipment, middle grades through college.
- Whaley Lake Home Press Sells Seeing the World with a Sense of Wonder: Ideas and Activities from Science and the Arts for Children from Nine to Ninety-nine.
- Wild Goose Company Greensboro, NC. 888-621-1040. Science kits, books, and lab supplies.
Microscopes for Homeschoolers Christian homeschool dad Pat Luna sells, services, and repairs microscopes. Microscopes start at $115, and conform to requirements of Apologia, Sonlight and any other homeschool biology curriculum. They also come with a 5-year warranty. One of the most popular student microscope models has been endorsed by Dr. Jay L. Wile, author of the popular Exploring Creation with Biology curriculum. Find more information at www.homeschoolmicroscopes.com, or contact Pat with any questions. LGS Microscopes, Office (623) 240-2232, Mobile (602) 821-7468
Social Studies (Civics, History, Geography)
For additional resources, refer to the General Studies listing.
- Carmo Learning offers nine world history units, written and classroom-tested for grades 6 through 10. Reading, language, mapping, and art lessons in each unit. All units are mailed on CD in PDF format, and shipping is free.
National Constitution Center The Bourse, Suite 560, 111 S. Independence Mall, E. Philadelphia, PA 19106. 215-923-0004. Lesson plans and resources on the law and the Constitution. Website offers an interactive game on the Bill of Rights and constitutional word scrambles for kids.
- National Geographic Society P.O. Box 98199, Washington, DC 20090-8199. 800-647-5463 (general information). Geography resources. Store offers maps, globes, atlases, and educational toys. Website offers lesson plans, maps and photos, interactive games, activities, and experiments and information on the National Geographic Bee.
- National Women\u2019s History Project 3343 Industrial Drive, Suite 4 , Santa Rosa , CA 95403. 707-636-2888. Women\u2019s history, women in science, and other resources aimed at empowering and recognizing the achievements of women.
- Generation Joshua PO Box 3000, Purcellville, VA 20134, (540) 338-8608 offers several online civics courses from a Christian perspective.
Other Sources for Curriculum and Learning Materials
The Book Cellar Locations at 34 NorthWest Blvd (in the Westside Plaza on 101A / Amherst St, next to Marshalls), Nashua, NH, (603) 881-5570 and 581 Second Street, Manchester, NH , (603) 836-5000. You can sell and purchase online.
Homeschooling Materials to Borrow in Chocorua
The new educational section of the Chocorua Public library is now open as part of the children’s library during opening hours, Sundays 1-5 and Mondays and Thursdays 1-7.
The collection includes resource books for language arts, early reading, spelling and grammar, mathematics, nature and environmental studies, history, geography, music, and Spanish, and various activity books, games, and craft materials. These books and materials are mostly available on loan. We also have sets (2-10 copies) of well-known and classic authors for loan to groups or families, and good paperback reading for exchange, loan or purchase at low cost. There will also be a number of working copies of individual Shakespeare plays, to be given away. Donations and items for exchange are welcome.
The collection now includes some larger items which are stored outside the library. These include a heavy-duty rock tumbler, a first telescope on tripod for loan, and three kits or models requiring some moderately skilled adult help: a Mamod Working Steam engine model (see the Mamod website; these are quality British-made models with spare parts still available) and two large-scale flying models, a Cessna ready-to-fly R-C plane (some restoration needed), which flies with motor, rudder and elevator control, and a 1/10 scale model Huey Cobra 450 helicopter kit. These three models are offered for suitable donation to Tamworth Learning Circles, and are not suitable for loan. Great projects for the ambitious home-schooler. If you are interested, please call the Posners.
For more information call during library hours, 323-8610, or the Posners and Tamworth Learning Circles, 323-7477.
New Hampshire Historical Society
Resources for homeschoolers
The New Hampshire History Curriculum, Grades K-6, available online